Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that is often undetected until it’s too late, but a monitored Carbon Monoxide Detector alerts your system if high levels of CO are present in your home.
Exposure to this gas causes a displacement of oxygen molecules with carbon monoxide molecules, which leads to CO poisoning. During 1999–2010, a total of 5,149 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning occurred in the United States, an average of 430 deaths per year. You might assume that your property is safe, but there are a number of appliances that can potentially release this gas into the air you're breathing:
- Water heaters
- Fireplaces (gas and wood burning)
- Furnace or boilers
- Gas stoves and ovens
- Wood stoves
- Clothes dryers
- Tobacco smoke
- Motor vehicles
- Power tools and lawn equipment
Keep Your Home Free of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as natural gas, gasoline, oil, propane, wood or coal are burned. The danger is magnified when that combustion is not properly ventilated, or when the CO can't dissipate because of a blocked or dirty chimney.
Fire and public safety officials make a number of recommendations aimed at reducing the risks posed by carbon monoxide. Topping that list is having carbon monoxide detectors in the home, ideally located outside every sleeping area. These devices can save your life, and it's a small investment to ensure your family is protected.